Miami Wynwood Art District is known for its vibrant murals and arts and culture scene and is one of the must-visit neighborhoods for art enthusiasts heading for the city of lights. And there are a plethora of things to do in Wynwood Miami!
The history of Wynwood becoming what it is today started with a gang of artists in need of working space purchasing an abandoned bakery in Wynwood to work in and called it the Bakehouse when it opened in 1987 (which it still is called)!
I lived outside Wynwood Art District for over a month, and although I did miss the white sandy beach, I truly love the vibe here!
Today, the whole vibrant neighborhood is defined by this very ambiance; there are pieces of art anywhere and everywhere you go.
So when you visit Miami, I strongly suggest you spend some time in the Wynwood Art District and the Design District, these few blocks a little east of Downtown Miami and Brickell, which are quite unique.
Things to Do in Wynwood Miami Art District
Breakfast and Morning Coffee Hours!
Morgans in Wynwood have made mouthwatering breakfasts for people for over a decade and will still make you blissfully happy and ready to start your day in Miami (if you don’t go overboard on the pancakes).
Or choose Miam Cafe, where you can still have pancakes if you want to, or go all in on a healthy “my-body-is-my-temple”-option if that is your thing.
You can, of course, just skip brekkie altogether and kickstart your day with a cup of strong, locally roasted coffee at Panther Coffee. The rustic ambiance and artisanal brews set the perfect tone for a smooth start!
Wynwood Walls Art Center
When you are ready, I strongly recommend you stroll around the neighborhood for a while and admire the various murals before you find your way to the Wynwood Walls Art Center.
Take your time, be mindful, and make sure you really see all the murals along the streets in the neighborhood!
There are so many, and they are so tight together on all buildings that you can easily become a bit blind to the uniqueness and splendor of each one!
Arriving at the Wynwood Walls Art Center, this is a mix of inside and an open-air museum that showcases some of the most stunning and thought-provoking murals created by world-renowned famous street artists.
Don’t miss the Wynwood Doors inside the center, an exhibit featuring doors painted by various artists.
Each door tells its own unique story, adding an extra layer of depth to the district’s artistic landscape.
📍 PRO TIP: 👉 Book a combined Art and Food Tour in Wynwood!
Have your breakfast and lunch combined, sampling tasty dishes from various places around Wynwood while an entertaining guide tells you all about the urban murals. I loved this tour, which finishes with a guided Wynwood Walls Art Center tour!
Other Fun Sights in Wynwood
Wynwood Art District is first and foremost famous for its incredible murals, which you see absolutely everywhere, but there is more to see and do in this neighborhood.
If you are into arts and crafts, the graffiti artists depicted at the Museum of Graffiti are also in Wynwood, right behind Wynwood Walls.
Then, for the “crafts,” there is a special gem and one-of-a-kind bar for vinyl lovers called Dantes HiFi! This is the first vinyl listening bar that is dedicated to what they call the “analog audiophile music culture” in Wynwood.
The space is intimate, and the sound system is spectacular, so you will have music experiences here that park other music venues in the city!
Amazing Wynwood Tours
Whether you are a solo traveler like me who sometimes likes to do stuff in the company of other travelers, or you just like things to be organized in a done-for-you way, there are a variety of really good tour options to explore and discover Wynwood.
I already told you about the food and art tour that I did, which is a great way to explore through a walking tour.
If you prefer something other than the walking experience in the Miami heat, here are a few top-rated alternative ways to explore Wynwood murals!
There are more than murals in Wynwood!
When you are walking around the neighborhood, stay on the lookout for “hidden” sculptures, small and large pieces of art that are merged into the cityscape.
You will be able to spot everything from eclectic trolls to decorated traffic lights and little midgets.
This bustling part of Wynwood is a great place to soak up the vibe of the neighborhood and sit down for a drink or a snack in one of the many bars or restaurants inside the gate of the Wynwood Marketplace.
Any art enthusiast can basque in the live art installations inside, as well as restaurants, food trucks, shops, and so much more!
If you also like to enjoy your craft beer, you might want to visit one of the local Wynwood breweries! There are a handful of them with unique individual characteristics and tastes!
Enjoy the spacious garden patio at Cerveceria la Tropical with a mixture of “factory meets bohemian” interiors, live music on the weekends, and a wide variety of brews.
Or the charming, more petite Veza Sur, with both indoor and outdoor seating, a perfect place for a chill atmosphere, and lounge music.
Wynwood Art Galleries
It is hard to explore an art district without actually paying some attention to the incredible artists and creative ambiance that encompasses this part of Miami.
To look into the past and future of contemporary art and artists, these are the places you want to visit in Wynwood.
- The original Bakehouse Art Complex is the premier incubator for artistic creativity in Wynwood, with indoor spaces open to the public and outdoor galleries with free admission year-round.
- Spinello Projects features pieces from experimental artists.
- Art Fusion Galleries: Featuring new artists from all over the planet as well as seasoned artists, featuring a variety of mediums and rotating collections.
- Dot Fiftyone Gallery: Featuring both emerging and established contemporary artists, many of whom are largely underrecognized in North America.
- The David Castillo Gallery displays artists who have been important in creating the definition spaces of contemporary art.
Local Wynwood Shopping
Wynwood is not a “shopping area” in the same league as Downtown and Brickell and some of the outlets.
But there are a variety of unique things in local shops here for you who love to go treasure hunting for gems you can not find anywhere else in the world!
- Supply & Advise is a men’s clothing shop with some 50-plus classic brands featuring somewhat elegant and military-inspired garments.
- Frangipani is a colorful, almost eclectic concept store with unusual fashions, quirky gifts, and home decor pieces you will not find anywhere else.
- Wynwood Kollective is a super small co-op-style retail shop (there is more than one) with lots of custom-made jewelry, arts and crafts, and home decor.
- Lotus House Thrift Chic Boutique: A boutique-like thrift store with collectibles and designer goods that also offer internships. All revenue from here benefits the Lotus House Women and Children’s Shelter.
- Wynwood Tribe: A fair-trade and upcycled clothing store from local and international artists and designers who believe in looking good AND supporting the environment!
Great Restaurants in Wynwood
Whatever your heart desires to eat in Wynwood, choose from a quick fix from food trucks to small take-away “joints” (but still with quality food) and high-end gourmet places.
Indulge in a delectable meal at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar. This hotspot offers a fusion of Latin and Caribbean flavors, with dishes that are as visually appealing as they are delicious.
If you are looking for high-end dining, you will find some of the best restaurants you will probably be very happy at either Hiden for exquisite, fresh produce or Beaker and Grey for ambiance, juicy meals, and excellent service.
For a super casual dining experience, explore the food trucks in Wynwood Marketplace or Smorgasburg, the largest weekly open-air food market in the United States, open on Saturdays and Sundays in Miami.
From gourmet tacos to artisanal ice cream, there’s something to satisfy every palate in the Miami Art District!
Wynwood Miami Nightlife: Unwind and Imbibe
The Wynwood Breweries is a great place to visit in the evenings as well, with outdoor seating, music (sometimes live), and a great ambiance. Wynwood Brewing Company is one of the really popular spot.
For the later at night-experience, Wynwood does have some high-end nightclubs if you love dancing the night away!
If you are among the Duracell bunnies of the world and don’t need to sleep, a great place to spend that energy is at the Mad Club Wynwood.
You can expect an electric dance floor, great DJs, light shows, and fun events, and you really get to dress up and show off to go here!
Another really cool Wynwood place is Brick, an open-air nightclub where you can dance the night away under the stars!
With great DJs, fabulous ambiance, and a more laid-back outdoorsy vibe this is one of the most popular spots in Wynwood to spend the night and early mornings!
History of Creative Wynwood Miami
Between 2003 and 2005, the founders of the Wynwood Art District began transforming all the old warehouses in the neighborhood into art galleries and studios.
Then, around 2009, the late Tony Goldman (the “father” of the Art Deco district in South Beach) made his dream come true about an open-air art gallery of murals in Wynwood called Wynwood Walls!
Today, Wynwood has become a highly trendy (and pricey) part of Miami, which is the opposite of the intended vibe in the very beginning. Put in something about Art Basel here.
Nevertheless, it is an amazing area to explore, and here is how to make the most of your Wynwood art walk day by exploring world-class, colorful street art and savoring local cuisine.
- Is Wynwood Art District family-friendly?
- Yes, Wynwood is a family-friendly district with plenty of activities suitable for all ages.
- Are there guided tours available in Wynwood?
- Absolutely! You can join guided tours that provide in-depth insights into the art and culture of Wynwood.
- Can I purchase art from the galleries in Wynwood?
- Yes, many of the galleries in Wynwood offer artwork for sale, ranging from prints to original pieces.
- Is there parking available in Wynwood?
- Yes, there are parking lots and street parking options available in and around Wynwood.
- Are there events or festivals held in Wynwood throughout the year?
- Yes, Wynwood hosts a variety of events, including art festivals, live performances, and cultural celebrations. Be sure to check the event calendar for upcoming happenings.
Wrap-Up Things To Do In Wynwood Miami
I lived right outside of Wynwood for over a month, and although my heart really and truly belongs to Miami Beach deep down, I did love the colorful, eclectic vibe and ambiance of Wynwood Art District!
If this is where you feel at home, there are a lot of great and top-rated places to stay in and around Wynwood.
From here, you will have walking distance to explore all the quirky details of the old warehouses and the myriad of ever-changing murals on the walls! And you are still just a short Uber ride from South Beach or Downtown!
Related blog posts: