Are you a Queen or a Vagabond when it comes to requirements for your bed for the night? Wondering where to stay in Cuba for your holiday?
Fear not; here, you will find an overview of the whole range of options on where to stay in Cuba for your holiday! Even though I have lived in Havana for over two years, I traveled there quite a bit before I set up base too.
So, I have tried and tested several places and city districts myself while living in Havana, and traveling around Cuba. The rest, I have researched all the information and reviews, so you don’t have to!
Check out this range of hostels and B&B, high-end hotel options, and Casas for rent in different destinations and find the one that is perfect for you. This list is also a work in progress, and I update it irregularly as I get information and travel more around Cuba.
Where To Stay In Cuba Capital Havana
Whatever sanctuary you are looking for on your holidays, the capital of Cuba has an option that is right for you. Some of the best places to stay in Cuba, you will find in the capital.
You can find a shared room with a bunk bed for 15 dollars a night, or you can stay at a luxury hotel where you have a pool, gym, restaurants, wifi, and beds made to die for.
It is all within reach, depending on your budget or preferences.
Five Stars Hotels
- Gran Hotel Manzana Kempinski in Old Havana by Parque Central (4,5) (Manzana Rooftop Terrace)
- Iberostar Grand Packard in Old Havana Prado and the Malecon (4,5)
- Iberostar Parque Central in Old Havana (4,5)
- Iberostar Parque Central Rooftop Terrace)
- Hotel Boutique Casavana in Vedado (5)
- Saratoga Boutique Hotel in Old Havana by the Capitolio (4) (Hotel Saratoga Rooftop Terrace)
- Hotel Melia Habana in Miramar (4)
- Hotel Memories Miramar (4) (my review)
Four Star Hotels In Havana
- Havana Riviera by Iberostar by Paseo, between Vedado and Miramar (4.0)
- Hotel National de Cuba in Vedado (4.4)
- La Villa Teresa in La Vibora (4.8)
- Hostal B&B Tu Habana (4.5)
- Malecon 663 between Old Havana and Vedado (4.4) (Malecon 663 Roof Top Terrace)
Three Stars Hotels And Casas In Havana
- Quinta Avenida Habana Hotel in Miramar (3.6)
- Hostal Tu Habana
- Casa Buena Vista
- Hostal Colonial Esturias
- Elegancia Suites Habana
- Casa Randy
- Residencia Santa Clara
- Casa Mirador La Colina
- Casa Maura Habana Vieja
- Madero Bed&Breakfast
- Simone LÌtaliano Vero
Where To Stay In Varadero
Although known to be a Caribbean paradise in Cuba, the long narrow peninsula of Varadero is not just an all-inclusive resort haven for luxury-seeking tourists.
Although reputed for being home to some of the best places to stay in Cuba when it comes to luxury resorts, there are also other options in Varadero.
There is the little city of Matanzas just across the mainland, and also Varadero Town on the peninsula where you are able to find private lodging, through Airbnb, Hostelworld, or several other apps.
Five Stars Hotels
- Melia International Varadero all-inclusive (4,5) (my review)
- Melia Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa (5)
- Melia Varadero (5)
- Royalton Hicaco Resort adults only (4,5)
- Iberostar Selection Varadero spa hotel (4,5)
- Melia Las Americas adults only / wellness&spa / golf (4,5)
- Paradisus Princesa del Mar Melia Resort & Spa (4)
- Mansion Xanadu Hotel Varadero Golf Club (4)
Casas And Other Accommodation In Varadero
- Melia Marina Varadero Apartments (3,5)
- Pedrito Hostal (5)
- Casa Yairi y Tito (5)
- Casa Carelia y Victor (5)
- Casa de Mary y Angel (5)
- Casa Ileana y Ray (5)
- Casa Marta Margarita (4,5)
- Casa Betty Mar (5)
- Casa Alexis (5)
- Casa Mayan (4,5)
Where To Stay In Cayo Santa Maria
Cayo Santa Maria is a triplet of little islands, or keys, off of the northern shores of Cuba 3-4 hours east of Havana in a direct car.
It is also about half an hour from the important revolutionary city Santa Clara, and on these little keys, after passing the pedraplen to get there (you don’t need a ferry or anything) there is nothing but large hotels and resorts!
Cayo Santa Maria is a universe of luxury all-inclusive resorts scattered around the islets, all with private beaches, gyms, restaurants, spas, and everything you want at any time.
The only thing there is not out there is a town or a “civil society”. That means that when you stay at one of the resorts in Cayo Santa Maria, that is where you stay!
Also read: 10 Reasons To Spend Your Honeymoon In Cuba!
Five And Four Star Resorts in Cayo Santa Maria
- Melia Las Dunas
- Melia Buenavista
- Royalton Cayo Santa Maria Adults Only
- Gran Memories Santa Maria
- Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
- Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
- Valentin Perla Blanca
- Iberostar Selection Ensenachos
- Playa Cayo Santa Maria
- Angsano Cayo Santa Maria
- Grand Aston Cayo Las Brujas
- Melia Cayo Santa Maria
- Melia Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Where To Stay In Holguin
Holguin is the fourth largest city in Cuba, located in the eastern parts, around two and a half hours drive north of Santiago de Cuba.
It is an inland city, but it will take you less than an hour to drive to the beaches and beach towns on the northeastern shores.
The speacual features of the coasts of Holguín are that the beaches often are located between rocky compounds creating unique stretches of white sands between them.
The area of Holguin located on fertile plains is particularly known for being an important communication and trading center in eastern Cuba, as well as sugar refining and cigar making,
Five Stars Hotels In Holguin
- Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa (5)
- Sol Rio de Luna y Mares (4)
- Iberostar Selection Holguin (5)
- Hotel Playa Costa Verde (all inclusive)
- Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort Suite & Spa (Eco-friendly)
Where To Stay In Trinidad
The UNESCO-protected colonial city of Trinidad is best known for its remarkably well-kept old city, where a lot of the architecture has remained untouched for centuries.
In Trinidad City, there is a myriad of casa particulares for rent, whether you pre-book or wander the streets to find a bed for the night.
Trinidad is not home to a vast number of luxury hotels, but there are some resorts along Playa Ancon Beach, a beautiful Caribbean white sandy beach around 15 minutes from the center of Trinidad.
Five Stars Hotels
- Iberostar Grand Trinidad (Adults only)
Other Accommodation And Casas in Trinidad
Cayo Coco & Guillermo
Five Stars Hotel In Cayo Coco
FAQs Cuba Travel
Why are US citizens not allowed to travel to Cuba?
This is NOT correct. US citizens ARE ALLOWED to travel to Cuba.
Americans can choose a reason for Cuba travel among 12 pre-approved reasons for traveling to Cuba, determined by the US Government.
Can US citizens travel to Cuba as a tourist?
Technically, US citizens are NOT allowed to travel to Cuba as a tourist. Americans choose between 12 pre-approved reasons for Cuba travel, among which the most common one is “to help the Cuban people”.
What are the 12 requirements to travel to Cuba?
You can read about the 12 pre-approved reasons to travel to Cuba for US citizens here.
The easiest and most common reason for Cuba travel is “to help the Cuban people”. There is no paperwork or application process connected to this, you just choose your reason and state that reason if anyone asks.
What happens if a US citizen travels to Cuba?
Nothing happens if a US citizen travels to Cuba, apart from hopefully, the US citizen will have a fabulous holiday and encounter with Cuban culture.
Selected airlines sell this visa/tourist card, or you can buy one online.
What documents do I need to travel to Cuba?
You need the following documents to travel to Cuba:
- Passport valid for 6 months after date of entry
- Cuban tourist card / tourist visa
- Proof of travel insurance, including health insurance
- Fill out the d’viajero.cu digital document before your journey
Do Americans need to be vaccinated to enter Cuba?
No, there is no requirement for specific vaccines prior to entering Cuba. Your country’s health department probably has recommendations for what vaccines you should consider before entering Cuba.
How Do I get a tourist card for Cuba?
You might also be able to buy a Cuban tourist card from your airline or at the airport prior to departure.
It is possible to buy a Cuban tourist card at Miami International Airport at the check-in counter with American Airlines and Delta Airlines.
How Do I Get A Tourist Visa For Cuba?
- Buy one online from Easy Tourist Card
- Buy one from your airline if they offer this
- Buy one at the airport of departure if they offer this
- Buy one from the Cuban Embassy in your country
Is Travel To Cuba Allowed Right Now?
Yes, Cuba travel is allowed right now. There are no COVID or health restraints from entering Cuba right now.
There are no political constraints from entering Cuba right now for most international travelers.
American citizens need to, in addition, choose one of the 12 pre-approved reasons for traveling to Cuba (Americans can not travel as “tourists”) and follow some simple guidelines for traveling in Cuba.
Wrap-Up Where To Stay In Cuba!
This is an extensive overview of the best places to stay in Cuba in the most popular destinations and across the star spectrum.
Hopefully, this has not made it more difficult for you to choose!
My Resource Go-To List For Best Travel Booking Deals!
Travel Insurance: IMG Medical Travel Insurance
VPN Secure Internet: ExpressVPN
Cuba Visa Online: Easy Tourist Card
Car Rentals Online: Discover Cars